Skip to content ↓

History of RCS

Responsible, Caring & Secure

Roehampton Church School has been part of the local community for nearly 200 years and there are a number of references to the school, in historical records, as early as 1828; which is recorded in Parliamentary papers, found in the House of Commons archives.

Other evidence can be found in a review of schools, which was commissioned in the 19th century, the entries were as follows: 

 

PUTNEY Parish (Pop. 3811) - Two Infant Schools, supported by voluntary contributions and a weekly payment of 2d from each child; in one (commenced 1830) are 70 children of both sexes; in the other (commenced 1828 at Roehampton) are 20 children.

 

Two Sunday Schools; in one at Roehampton (commenced 1833), 58 children, who attend the Established Church, are gratuitously instructed by the ladies of that place.‚Äč

Another early reference to a school, appears in the account of the proceedings between Court Leet and General Court Baron held for the Manor of Wimbledon on the 28th April 1835. At this meeting a request “by most of the respectable inhabitants of Roehampton” for permission to enclose a small portion of the waste land in the immediate neighbourhood of the village for the site of an Infant School house was considered.

Subsequently, the Jury commended “that a grant should be made of the said piece of land”, which was then leased to a Mr. William Bellamy for five shillings at a peppercorn rent. The school paid a yearly rental until 1850, when certain “well disposed persons” purchased the release for a Parochial school of the Church of England.

In 1854 a separate school for boys was built, and in 1888 this was enlarged. A separate school for boys and girls served the district until 1945, when the schools merged to become a mixed school. The school then assumed its present name, Roehampton Church School, loving known as RCS.

Today, RCS is known as a Voluntary Aided School, and is a mixed primary school, with a nursery, educating children between the ages of 3 and 11 years old. If a school is Voluntary Aided, it means that the premises have been provided by a voluntary body. The founders of the School, in 1828, were probably residents of the village, some of whom in 1850 “purchased the release for a Parochial School of the Church of England”.

The Voluntary Body of RCS are known as the Governing Body and are appointed from all different walks of life. Two-thirds of RCS Governing Board, are appointed by either the Southwark Board of Education or Holy Trinity’s Parochial Church Council (PCC) and are known as Foundation Governors.  The other third of the Board are voted for by either the parents, staff or local authority.

To view the full collection of Roehampton Church School archives, please contact Wandsworth Heritage Services.